Tatarian dogwood is broad, bushy shrub with upright to arching branches. This native of northern China, Siberia and Korea is very hardy in the northern part of its range but may suffer from leaf scorch in its southernmost range if planted in full sun. Its most ornamental characteristic is its red-green stems that turn blood red in winter. In the summer, flattened cymes of yellow-green flowers appear followed by small, white to blue, berry-like fruits. Top pruning or shearing is not recommended as it will encourage dense peripheral stem growth, which can encourage fungal disease. This shrub is tolerant of part shade and moist soils. It tends to sucker, forming dense colonies, and may be used to stabilizing banks and inclines or as an informal hedge. (info source: Learn2Grow.com)
Genus - Cornus
Species - Alba
Common name - Red Barked Dogwood
Pre-Treatment - Required
Hardiness zones - 3 - 7
Height - 8'-10' / 2.40 - 3 m
Spread - 5'-10' / 1.50 - 3 m
Plant type - Shrub
Vegetation type - Deciduous
Exposure - Full Sun, Partial Sun
Growth rate - Fast
Soil PH - Acidic, Neutral
Soil type - Loam, wet site
Water requirements - High
Landscape uses - Hedges, Mixed Border
Bloom season - Late Spring, Early Summer
Leaf / Flower color - Light Green, Dark Green / Yellow, Light Green
1. Soak the seeds in warm water for 24 hours.
2. Fill a nursery flat or other germination container, to within 1/2 inch of the rim, with a sterile germinating mix. Moisten the mix thoroughly.
3. Sow the seeds ~2 mm deep in the mix. Moisten the seeds and place the flat in a cold frame or in the refrigerator at +2-+4C for 90 days. Keep the seeds moist during this period.
4. Remove the flat from the refrigerator and place it in an area with indirect sunlight and where the temperature remains between +15-+20 C (60-68 F).
5. Keep in good ventilated room or place. Good air circulation is required.
5. Spray the seeds periodically with room-temperature water from a misting bottle to ensure they remain moist. Seeds typically germinate within 20 days to three months.
Your shopping cart is empty!