- Tree seeds
- Shrub seeds
- Flower seeds
- Herb seeds
- Climber & Vine seeds
- Ornamental Grass seeds
- Houseplant seeds
- Seeds by growing rate
- Seeds by plant hardiness
- Seeds by sowing time
- Seeds by Type
- Seeds of plants for special use
- For Germination & Propagation
- Almost FREE
About the product
Phillyrea angustifolia is a slow growing evergreen shrub. Its dark green leathery leaves are lanceolate with entire margins, up to 6cm long and 1cm broad. Its small white/ green fragrant flowers are hermaphrodite and appear in the leaf axils in small clusters. Its fruit is a black drupe which contains a single seed.
Phillyrea angustifolia, commonly known as the Narrow Leaved Phillyrea or Evergreen Privet, is native to the Mediterranean region.
The landscape architect may find Phillyrea angustifolia useful as a shrub suitable for growing as a formal hedge. This shrub is tolerant of maritime conditions.
Ecologically, Phillyrea angustifolia is attractive to pollinating insects. The fruit of this shrub are attractive to some birds.
It prefers moist, fertile, well-drained soils. It tolerates most pH of soil.
Phillyrea angustifolia requires little maintenance. If pruning as a hedge, this shrub should be clipped during the summer. (info source: http://davisla.wordpress.com)
Genus - Phillyrea
Species - Angustifolia
Common name - Evergreen Privet
Pre-Treatment - Required
Hardiness zones - 8 - 10
Height - 10'-12' / 3 - 3 m
Spread - 10-20' / 3 - 6 m
Plant type - Medium shrub / small tree
Vegetation type - Evergreen
Exposure - Full Sun
Growth rate - Slow
Soil PH - Acidic, Neutral, Alkaline
Soil type - Moist, well drained
Water requirements - High
Landscape uses - Phillyrea angustifolia useful as a shrub suitable for growing as a formal hedge. This shrub is tolerant of maritime conditions.
Bloom season - Late spring to early summer
Leaf / Flower color - Green / Greenish-white
1. Soak seed in fresh water for 48 hours, change daily.
2. Drain and mix with sieved peat and sharp sand or vermiculite. (Mix with equal volume of sieved peat and sharp sand mist sprayed to dampen do not get the medium too wet or seed will rot). Place in polythene bag tie lightly, store for the 60-90 days in the fridge at +2-+4C (prechilling).
3. After the pretreatment done, sow and keep in warm and bright place.