Basil (Ocimum Basilicum Siam Queen) 400 seeds (#926)
About the product
'Siam Queen' is an annual herb with highly aromatic, glossy green leaves rich of a licorice basil aroma. As an added bonus, it is late to produce flowers, which often make basil develop a bitter taste. In many Thai dishes, Thai basil is added last, just prior to serving for its fragrance and flavor.
While most basils are grown just for their leaves and flavor, Siam Queen Basil is prized for both its culinary use and ornamental qualities: green foliage and attractive lavender flowers.
Remember it is of tropical origin, so provide warm soil and air temperatures for rapid vigorous growth.
Approximately 400 seeds in 1g packet.
Genus - Ocimum
Species - Basilicum
Variety - Siam Queen
Common name - Basil
Pre-Treatment - Not-required
Hardiness zones - 2 - 11
Height - 0,30 - 0,60 m
Spread - 0,30 - 0,60 m
Plant type - Annual herb
Exposure - Full Sun
Growth rate - Fast
Soil PH - Acid, neutral, alkaline (pH 5-8)
Soil type - Rich, light, well drained
Water requirements - Average
Landscape uses - Border, Container, Specimen
Bloom season - August - September
Leaf / Flower color - Green / Violet
1. Sow anytime in trays of moist compost. In winter, ensure more daylight.
2. Sow thinly and cover with a fine layer of compost. Cover with glass, polythene or propagator lid.
3. Keep at +15-+20C. Seedlings appear in 7-14 days.
4. Remove cover when seedlings appear. Grow in small groups in separate pots.
5. If planning to transplant outside, stand outside for a few days late in May (avoid frosts). Transplant 15 cm apart in final position in June or continue to grow inside.
1. Sow from May to June in a prepared seed bed.
2. Sow thinly in rows 15 cm apart. Cover lightly with fine soil.Keep moist.
3. Pick leaves as required from June to November the following year.