Alpine Golden Chaintree (Laburnum Alpinum) 15 seeds (#492)
Small specimen tree or shrub for location around residential homes. Shrub borders. Group as a shrub to maximize effect of the spring bloom. Good background plant.
Scotch laburnum is a small deciduous tree or large shrub that is most noted for its pendulous axillary racemes of yellow, wisteria-like flowers that bloom in spring. It typically grows up to 9 m (15-25’) tall as a rounded tree and somewhat shorter as a shrub. Bright yellow, pea-shaped flowers in drooping racemes to 40 cm (15”) long bloom in mid-spring. Flowers give way to winged seed pods. Trifoliate, clover-like, glossy, medium to dark green leaves produce little fall color. All parts of the tree are poisonous if ingested. Notwithstanding the common name, this species is not native to Scotland. It is native to the southern Alps, Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia.
Best grown in organically rich, medium moisture, well-drained soils in full sun to part shade. Best in full sun, but appreciates some part afternoon shade in hot summer climates such as the St. Louis area. Performs poorly in the heat and humidity of the deep South (south of USDA Zone 7). Best performance generally occurs in climates where both summer and winter temperature are moderate. If trained as a small tree, root suckers must be removed as they appear. Also consider removing the seedpods as they appear because they are not particularly ornamental, they consume plant energies and they are quite poisonous.
information source: wwww.missouribotanicalgarden.org.
Genus - Laburnum
Species - Alpinum
Common name - Alpine Golden Chaintree
Pre-Treatment - Not-required
Hardiness zones - 4 - 7
Height - 15'-30' / 4 - 9 m
Spread - 15'-25' / 4 - 7 m
Plant type - Tree / shrub
Vegetation type - Deciduous
Exposure - Full Sun, Partial Shade
Growth rate - Fast
Soil PH - Acidic, Neutral, Alkaline
Soil type - light (sandy), medium (loamy), heavy (clay)
Water requirements - Average Water
Landscape uses - Feature Plant, Foundation, Mixed Border
Bloom season - May
Leaf / Flower color - Green / Yellow
1. Pour boiling water over the seed and allow it to soak for a while.
2. Sow in pots inside. if sown outside, loosen and turn the soil on the planting site with a shovel in a circle that is roughly 60 cm in diameter and 20 cm deep. Remove any plants and roots, rocks or other debris that you encounter as you dig. Rake the soil smooth when you are done.
3. Plant the seed 5 mm deep.
4. Place a slow-running hose near the seed and water the soil until the planting area is moist to a depth of 8 inches.
5. Cover the planting area with a 5-8 cm layer of organic mulch. Scoop away the mulch directly over the seed. (Info source: eHow.com).
- Stock: 23
- Model ID: #492