Milkweed (Asclepias Curassavica Silky Gold) 25 seeds (#2017)
About the product
This attractive flowering plant is a rarity in gardens.
Asclepias curassavica ‘Silky Gold’ is a tender, evergreen perennial up to 50 cm (sometimes 1 m) tall, with narrow, up to 15 cm long, yellow-green, lance-shaped leaves.
The flowers appear from July to September on long stems, bearing up to 10 cm long clusters of golden yellow flowers.
On this cultivar all of the petals and corona are a deep golden yellow. The flowers are followed by up to 7.5 cm long, spindle-shaped seedpods that produces viable seed.
It can be planted in groups or as a dot plant. The flowers attract butterflies and bees.
It requires humus soil and regular water supply.
Genus - Asclepias
Species - Curassavica
Variety - Silky Gold
Common name - Milkweed
Pre-Treatment - Required
Hardiness zones - 5 - 10
Height - 0,50 m
Spread - 0,40 m
Plant type - Perennial flower
Exposure - Full Sun
Growth rate - Medium
Soil PH - Acidic, Neutral
Soil type - Average garden soil, well drained
Water requirements - Average, Drought tolerant
Landscape uses - Butterfly gardens, meadows, prairies, or naturalized/native plant areas. Also effective in sunny borders.
Bloom season - June - October
Leaf / Flower color - Green / Orange
Sow seeds indoors in April or directly outside after the last frost.
Seeds must be cold stratified as described bellow:
1. Soak in water for 12 hours.
2. Place the seeds on the wet coffee filter, then fold the filter over them so they stay inside.
3. Place folded filter inside a plastic sandwich bag and seal the bag shut.
4. Place the sandwich bag inside of a food container and secure the lid.
5. Refrigerate your seeds in a safe place inside your refrigerator for about a month.
6. After a month, remove seeds from the refrigerator and plant them in a seed starting tray or a pot, or sow directly outdoors.