Lovely in all seasons, this small to medium-sized deciduous maple from Japan offers a compact rounded habit, handsome foliage, and striking bark. Its densely branched crown is set with lush, relatively large, weakly three-lobed leaves that emerge in mid-spring, about the same time as its small yellow flowers. Drooping chains of two-winged fruits follow the flowers, providing an impressive show when they turn pink and tan in fall. The leaves color later in fall than those of many other maples, turning bright shades of yellow, red, purple, or orange. In winter the striped, luminous green bark takes center stage.
This lovely all-season tree likes moist, well-drained, humus-rich, acidic soil and partial to full sun. Plant it in a woodland edge or as a lawn or understory tree, preferably where its beautiful bark can be seen and appreciated at close hand.
Information source: http://learn2grow.com/plants/acer-rufinerve/
Genus - Acer
Species - Rufinerve
Common name - Grey Snakebark Maple
Pre-Treatment - Required
Hardiness zones - 6 - 8
Height - 8 - 14 m
Plant type - Tree
Vegetation type - Deciduous
Exposure - Full Sun, Partial Sun, Partial Shade
Growth rate - Medium
Soil PH - Acid, neutral
Soil type - Loam, well drained
Water requirements - Average
Landscape uses - Feature Plant, Shade Trees, Street Trees, Topiary / Bonsai / Espalier
Bloom season - April - May
Leaf / Flower color - Green / Yellow
Seeds nedd to be stratified for 60-90 days inside or by sowing it outside in the beginning of winter. The best time to start stratification - December - March. We suggest to do it inside as follow:
1. Soak seeds overnight in warm clean water.
2. Mix the seeds with moist vermiculite or sterile sand (1 part of seeds and 3 parts of substrate). The substrate should be moist but not wet. If it is too wet, the seeds may drown and die.
3. Place the seed mixture into a clear air tight plastic bag (freezer or zip-lock bag).
4. Place the bag in the fridge at +4C for 60-90 days. Check weekly. If seeds started to germinate - remove them from the bag and plant.
5. After the pre-treatment, sow seeds in the prepared soil in pots or trays, cover with 5-8 mm of soil. Keep moist and in room temperature (no more than +25C).
After germination, keep the seedlings well watered and weed free.
Your shopping cart is empty!