Perfect flavour for home-made pesto. Sow and harvest all year long!
An RHS Award of Garden Merit winning variety with superb flavour and good resistance to disease as well as poor weather.
Pretty, bi-coloured flowers attract beneficial insects. All year round for pots growing inside.
Prefers a rich light well-drained soil. Requires a sunny sheltered position if grown outdoors. Tolerates a pH in the range 5 to 8.
Sweet basil is commonly grown as an aromatic culinary and medicinal herb in warm temperate and tropical climates.
Basil is a perennial plant in the tropics, but it is frost tender and needs to be grown as a half-hardy annual in temperate zones.
It requires a good hot summer in Britain if it is to do well outdoors.
Sweet basil is a good companion plant for tomatoes but it grows badly with rue and sage. When grown near raspberries it can retard their fruiting.
Genus - Ocimum
Species - Basilicum
Variety - Pesto
Common name - Basil
Pre-Treatment - Not-required
Plant type - Annual Herb
Hardiness zones - 3 - 11
Exposure - Full Sun
Height - 0.45 m
Growth rate - Fast
Leaf / Flower color - Green / --
Soil PH - Acid, neutral, alkaline (pH 5-8)
Soil type - Rich, well drained
Water requirements - Average, high
Landscape uses - Perfect flavour for home-made pesto
1. Sow from all year long in trays of moist compost. In winter, ensure more daylight.
2. Sow thinly and cover with a fine layer of compost. Cover with glass, polythene or propagator lid.
3. Keep at +15-+20C. Seedlings appear in 7-14 days.
4. Remove cover when seedlings appear. Grow in small groups in separate pots.
5. If planning to transplant outside, stand outside for a few days late in May (avoid frosts). Transplant 15 cm apart in final position in June or continue to grow inside.
5. Harvest indoor crops all year long, outdoor crops from June to October the following year.
1. Sow from May to June in a prepared seed bed.
2. Sow thinly in rows 15 cm apart. Cover lightly with fine soil.Keep moist.
3. Pick leaves as required from June to November the following year.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER!
Be always informed about OMCSEEDS news, updates and promotiones!
Fill the short form below.